Monday, February 22, 2010

2-19-10 God plows the way

Ben and I woke up and began calling hospitals that offered pediatric neurosurgery. It became evident that the real issue would be insurance. Ben was trying to get through to someone at John Hopkins. With their reputation for being cutting-edge, we knew we would want to get their opinion. I searched for a hospital that would perform the minimally invasive endoscopic surgery. (For those of you who would like to see how this is done, I will insert 2 animated video links. The first, http://www.universityhealthsystem.com/index.php/us/results/video-gallery/viewvideo/115/craniosynososis/treatment-of-sagittal-synostosis.html will show the surgery concept. The second, will show the way the helmet therapy works http://www.universityhealthsystem.com/index.php/us/results/video-gallery/viewvideo/116/craniosynososis/sagittal-synostosis-helmet-therapy.html I will caution that although these are animations, the first still shows the removal of scull.) The closest hospital I found that did it was the Morgan Stanley Hospital in New York City. I called and made an appointment, but I had to call Geisinger Insurance and get clearance for out of network coverage approval for it to be affordable. Ben commented on how this is where the real nightmare would begin! I was ready for a fight; I wanted this surgery as an option for Dean. I spoke with a woman named Mary who actually listened to me explain the two surgeries and why I felt I needed to see someone who could do the minimally invasive. She asked me if I would see someone in the provided network if she could find a hospital that met our needs. She also said if she could not that she would recommend me for the out of network approval. I felt that God was already answering prayer and thanked her. Next, I tried getting in touch with a Craniosacral Therapist in Camp Hill, but I couldn't get a hold of anyone. Ben saw that I was overwhelmed and would never stop making calls so he got me out of the house for a few hours. When we came back, I had a message from Mary. I called her, and she told me that John Hopkins did the minimally invasive surgery and my insurance would cover them! Praise the Lord! What could have been frustrating and devastating suddenly became clear guidance from God. The office of the neurosurgeon at John Hopkins was closed until Monday, so I composed an email to the rest of our family and friends letting them know what was going on. We ended the day in prayer, thankful for the clarity of information and provision. We felt true peace that God was in total control.

No comments:

Post a Comment